A delicious way of making sure you or your kids finish those greens.
Have some left over broccoli from the night before or want to make someone fall in love with it? Simple – add some cheese, put it in a sandwich and there you go! Also saves a trip to your nearest McDonalds.
Feeds: 2 people Time: 20 minutes Effort Level: Easy
Florets from 1 medium head broccoli, chopped small
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon (cracked) black pepper
Unsalted butter, (softened)
6 to 8 slices bread
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. On a sheet pan, mix the broccoli, oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes – Gas mark 3 or until the broccoli is evenly roasted but not burnt. (Allow to cool after roasted broccoli is taken out o oven)
4. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Spread butter evenly on one side of the slices of bread.
6. Layer cheese on the unbuttered side of the bread slices, then add chopped broccoli in the middle and more cheese on top so that the broccoli lies between two layers of cheese. This keeps the small pieces of broccoli from falling out as the cheese melts.
7. Top each with another slice of bread, butter side out.
8. “Grill” in the skillet, turning sandwiches over once, until the cheese melts and the bread is evenly toasted.
This recipe was inspired by Bountiful: Recipes inspired by our garden